Monday, November 5, 2012

Don't Forget...

Happy Guy Fawkes Day, everyone.

I feel it appropriate this year that the fifth of November falls the day before election day, so I felt I'd take a moment and remind the maybe one person that reads this blog everyone to vote tomorrow.

I know, it's kind of a pain in the ass: you've got to make sure you're registered, you've got to figure out where the shit your polling place is, you've got to take time out of your day to go stand in line with a bunch of some-how strangers, even though they all live in your neighborhood, you've got to make decisions (one of my least favorite things to do).

Voting kind of kicks ass though. And if you have lady bits, as opposed to man-bits, if your skin is darker than honky shade, or really, if you're anything other than a white, straight male (that demographic has got it made!), think about how long ago it was that you would have been frowned upon for voicing your opinion concerning who runs this country. It hasn't really been that long. The Oreo cookie was invented before vaginas were welcomed to the polls. Afro-American? You could vote before ladies could, but could you? Really? Jim Crow made that pretty difficult, even after Susan B. Anthony cast her ballot victoriously.

I feel like it's very easy for my generation, and even the one just before it, to completely take advantage of the civil and political liberties we have. I'm torn on this issue for two reasons: I have personally never faced severe sexism or oppression because of my gender. I'm a lucky lady. Secondly, the word "feminist" has been rather abused over the past few decades, becoming associated with some big, hairy, butch women who yell and scream about how they're oppressed and are generally more annoying than active.

What I do know is that I didn't have to personally put my life (it's contents or my actual ability to breathe) on the line to get what I have today: Equal opportunity for jobs, schools and housing, the right to stand up for myself if some jerk is being a dick, and the right to help choose political leaders. Honestly, I vote to keep all of those things, and hopefully improve what I can for the next generation. I feel like if the wrong choices are made this election, I will have to put my life on hold and go become an activist. That would piss me off to no end, but I'm sure plenty of women during suffrage and plenty of African Americans during the civil rights movement had far grander dreams than writing letters, marching and demonstrating, but they knew things had to change, and they made it happen. Because they kick ass, they're selfless and you can actually do that in this country, which is also pretty amazing.

Also, no matter what your political beliefs, voting is one of the few times you're expected to pass severe judgement on people you don't know personally, which is kind of fantastic. It's when you can say, "I'm going to vote for such and such senator!" You may exclaim. And your friend can look at you and say, "That guys a total dick!" And no one's going to stop and say, "Hey now, come on, I mean, have you ever met him? He's a sweetheart!" Think of it as your guilt-free judging people day! No one does that in voting season. Everyone is expected to, at the very least, not like someone.

So vote. Tell D.C. and your local governments who you want, and chuckle to yourself in the booth while you think about what a prick that other guy is. Get that sweet feeling of smugness when you see someone notice your ballin' "I Voted" sticker. Then join the country as you sit in front of the television or computer (or radio if you're really awesome and also my new favorite person) tomorrow night and nibble on your cuticles while giving your personal brand of witty commentary when each state gets their votes counted.

Remember remember the fifth of November, the gunpowder, treason and plot. I know of no reason the fifth of November should ever be forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment