Friday, November 16, 2012

Addendum

Hannah's right.

Tip your baristas. The only reason I didn't cover this in the previous post is simply because I've never worked as a barista. Seriously though, have you ever tried to make espresso? Have you ever made a decent shot of espresso? And no, that pricey counter-top espresso maker does not count. Those are machines that are designed so an idiot can pull a decent shot. I should know, because I have one (a generous graduation gift from my sister and brother-in-law), and I'm an idiot, and I make delicious espresso.

Okay, I'm not really an idiot, but when it comes to making espresso I most certainly am.

I know some people just buy a cup of drip when they go to the coffee shop and feel that handing a customer a cup is not license for extra money. Well, did you get up at five in the morning to go and be chipper to a bunch of strangers who are all grouchy ass holes because they haven't had their coffee yet? No? Then maybe you can at least throw the remains of your second dollar in the tip jar.

Me, I have one of those drinks at the coffee shop. It's a sixteen ounce (not called a grande, actually) iced vanilla latte made with DaVinci syrup. Yeah, I might be a pain in the ass, but I sure as shit know I am. How do I make up for it? Tip a dollar a drink. And perform while the barista is making said drink. The espresso machine sits directly between customer and coffee maker, so it's pretty ideal to practice "going downstairs walk", or "going down escalator", "moving walkway", or one of my favorites, "awkward elevator that won't close". All of these were tried, tested and nearly perfected when I worked at a very slow restaurant and did them for the cooks behind the line, who were very honest about how well I committed.

General rule: You're spend $4 on an espresso drink, make it five. I'm broke as shit on a very regular basis (yes, I know, I probably wouldn't be if I didn't buy $4 coffees but no one is asking for your judgement here, in fact, if you're reading this you are clearly asking for my judgement) what's one extra dollar? At very worst it's going to your baristas pot habit, at very best, it's helping her buy school clothes for her kids.

If you have a hard time tipping people, try getting to know them. Ask them if they're in college  and what they're studying. Or how long they've worked there. It's a lot harder to clutch onto your money when you realize you're talking to a human being that's working their ass off (and often extremely over-qualified) for $7.50/hour (which is roughly three dollars less than the national living wage).

Also, you should probably know that in the four short years I've known her: Hannah's always been right. And awesome.

1 comment: