Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Unemployment Lockdown

Not having plans makes it impossible to plan.

Okay, let's face it, I'm not one for planning things. At all. Meals, purchases, meetings, projects, these are all things that often occur spontaneously in my life, which I love. I realize, that one day I will have to face facts, and probably join the hoard of grown-ups and start planning things.

Spontaneous Fall walk to Java.*

With knitting and writing.*

And Flowers.*
And Us!

That being said, I do have a planner. And I use it. Well, until I lost my job, and now there's not a huge amount to look at anymore, which brings me to this:

Having no steady job but constantly looking for one, I find myself in conversations that go something like this:

Curious Bystander: "Hey, what are you doing (Insert random date that is a month or more away)?"

Me: "I work at the yarn shop on Tuesdays and Saturdays and teach on Thursdays." (Let's face it, this is all I know at this point.) "Oh, and I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving week."

Bystander: "Cool, so you can come to (insert strange event that sounds not only unappealing, but I'd usually rather stay at home anyway)!"

Me: "Well, I'm trying to get a job right now, so I don't know if I'll be free then."

Nosy Presumptuous Bystander: "Oh. I thought you said you work at a yarn shop and teach."

Me: "Right, it's not exactly a living, that's just my life."

Dumb Ass Bystander: (Blank stare)

Me: "Okay, nice seeing you again." (And other lies).

The big frustration here is not coming from this poor, clearly abused and misled bystander (that is, bystander of my life, not that they don't have their own... honestly, I just couldn't figure out what to call this person, it's no one specific but... whatever.) but it is that I need to keep my schedule as open as possible for all of those delicious and wonderful potential employers (e.i. no one) so I can be of some actual use to one of them, should they decide I'm awesome enough to hire (note to potential employers: I am totally awesome enough. My biggest flaw in the work place is that my awesome has been known to blind some less-than-awesome... bystanders). Taking all of this into consideration, I also need to make sure I keep my schedule open enough to be able to work my two days at the yarn shop (sometimes three! Yay!), Teach a children's theater class once a week (never mind the prep work that goes into that nonsense) and have my evenings free to go to rehearsal for the show I'm in, which pays a small small small "stipend" I'd work out the hourly for you, but sadly, they got rid of the ha' Penny and all of it's other adorable divisions, so it would probably be impossible. Although, I think saying I'm getting paid an "adorable" amount is appropriate.

To break for a moment: You may be asking, "Well, hey! If they're not paying you very well, why are you doing a play?!" And I may say back to you, "If you're really asking that question with a straight face, I don't think this is the sort of leisure reading you should be enjoying. Try some Dan Brown."

In any case! Suffice it to say, my availability right now, to any hiring manager with a head on his/her shoulders looks about as appealing as hiring a drug addict. Which I'm not, so at least I have that going for me!

Anyone know some crazy hiring managers?

Hire me! I make adorable hats! (Pattern from my super-hero designer crush Alex Tinsely, find out about the pattern, here!)*







 * I am, nor in now way do I claim to be a photographer. I just like to take pictures of pretty things with my silly phone apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment