Monday, September 19, 2011

One Little Foot in Front of the Other (although, I have fairly large feet for my height and gender, I like to think that makes me move a little faster(and I use a lot of parenteticals))

Those of you who have been in a show before know the feeling I am about to describe, those of you who haven't been in a live performance before, I can't image there's much of a way you could relate to it. Although, I like to think of it as someone who has sought after something for so long, and finally get what they've wanted (you know, like the Spaniard in The Princess Bride, with revenge) and have no idea what to do after they get it.

That being said, I should reiterate that being a part of a live performance is among one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had (and will continue to have, hopefully). There is a feeling of pride and satisfaction that comes with the closing of show, but those feelings are often in flux with a bitter-sweetness of knowing you do not get to perform with these wonderful people in this amazing show together again. I could go on to talk about how hard it is to build a trust with each other and... blah blah blah, but those of you who know that don't need to hear it again, and those who don't, won't gain anything from my menial, disconnected, description.

Once the run of the show is over (in this case, it was a mere four days) there is a feeling of, "Oh my God! I have to look over that scene again before... oh. Yeah. Never mind." Which, is of course, why I spent all day yesterday giving the apartment a glorious, wonderful, delicious, utterly thorough deep-clean. Which means, I can finally show you pictures of the couch and shelving unit that took the place of my job a few short weeks ago:

TA DAH! So worth it, right? I'm still pretty excited about it.
Ah. And this is our cat. She helps with the decorating by looking good.

In fact, I've been trying very hard to embrace the excitement of my new life that does not include waiting tables. The anger and shame that came with the first few weeks has now begun to slowly fade away and is being replaced by a bit of a scramble to find some sort of work, which has actually been popping everywhere, from expected places and not so. I've got a ten week job teaching Jr. High students at a charter school. Just a few hours a week, but after the first week I think that will be plenty. I helped move furniture out of vacant apartments that actors borrowed while staying for the summer season. The owner of the yarn shop asked if I wanted more hours (actually, it was a much sweeter discussion that somehow ended up with me gushing about what an amazing place that is to work and how much I love the people that work there and shop there and hang out there. It was probably a little gratuitous, if, albeit honest). Craigslist never closes, holiday hiring for the busy shopping season will start any second now and the show pays a menial amount, but just enough to make me believe I'm a working actor.

And who knows what tomorrow holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment