Sunday, September 20, 2015

In Which Homesickness Strikes

I have now been living in Philadelphia for three weeks. My program is still incredible, but it's not the only thing I'm learning. I'm learning a ton about the city too.

I got a bicycle, which is making getting my bearings around the city MUCH easier than just riding the El, which has a tendency to jostle my sense of direction. As does being surrounded by tall buildings. Funny, when I can't tell where the sun is, my sense of direction becomes really terrible.
Why is there a dinosaur in this shot? That's a ridiculous question.
I'm learning all sorts of fun things. Things like you can't buy wine or beer in grocery stores. You can buy wine at liquor stores, but not beer, beer you have to buy at beer stores. You can drink beer at beer stores sometimes, but usually you have to take it home, unless it's a special beer store/restaurant combo. Unless it's some weird street festival like Oktoberfest, then you can just take your beer outside and drink it wherever you want. You can also pay an inordinate amount of money for six packs to go at almost any bar. and you can bring your own alcohol to almost any restaurant. Seriously, Pennsylvania, with the liquor laws.

I'm also learning that, hey, maybe don't go into parts of town that make you feel weird. Like the El stop closest to where I'm living. Or north of that one street EVER. Or anywhere near Temple. What makes it feel weird? I DON'T KNOW! It's seriously been the most fascinating country bumpkin experience ever. It's not a race divide, though it may have to do with class. I've felt the least comfortable when I'm out numbered greatly by gender in neighborhoods, which I don't really even know how that happens. It's really fascinating to have this instinctual feeling of "I really don't belong here" and being an analytical human that I am I immediately start asking myself, "Why do I feel like I don't belong here?" "What would make me feel more at home in this situation?" "Why am I asking myself these questions instead of focusing on getting off this block?"

I have gotten the stone cold bitch face down to a science. Like I didn't already.
"What about that shadowy part?" I asked and James Earl Jones said to me, "That is North Philly. You must never go there." I then promptly got off at a North Philly El stop. Sorry James. At least it was daylight hours.
I spent some time in South Philly yesterday, as I hadn't really explored that area before. South Philadelphia, for those who don't know is what upper-middle-class people would generally refer to as a "nice" part of town or "quaint" or "so bo-ho" or "cultured" or something else ridiculous. It was full of people having brunch and families in parks. There was an art festival happening in Rittenhouse Square and people enjoying their weekend everywhere. Why was I there? Come on guys, for the yarn shop, obviously.

Loop is one of the few yarn shops I could find in Philly that wasn't somewhere far off in the distance in West Philly or in a mythical land some call "New Jersey". Everything about this shop is delightful. The ladies working were warm and welcoming (yes, of course I dropped of my resume and fished for work-though to no avail), the shop itself was beautiful with hardwood floors and lovely displays, and the clientele was exactly what I've come to expect from yarn stores. Versatile and quirky as all get out (one of them was even in town briefly from said mythical land called New Jersey. Guys- stereotypes exist for a reason).

I thought finding a lovely yarn shop would make me feel more at home and in my element in a new city, but alas, it made me long for the things I saw echos of familiarity in. I ache a little for home this weekend.

When I'm constantly busy working through the week and physically exhausted from school it's very easy for me to keep my Philadelphia blinders on. But when the weekend hits and I have some time to stew, I start to miss small things like nature. And being not sweaty from humidity. And of course, the humans. I find myself illogically, immensely frustrated that I can't just go visit Boise for the weekend. But I can't. And that's okay. It will make it all the sweeter when I can. See you someday, Boise.

1 comment:

  1. You keep up all that great discovery, lady! Getting to reframe your idea of how the world works is one of the great boons of moving to a new place where you don't know a single soul. I speak from experience!

    ReplyDelete